Friday, September 22, 2006

Something Wicked...

Here's pencils for the back cover of an Australian horror comicbook called, 'Something Wicked'. The narrow dimensions are so the rest of the space can be used for the comic's credits.

There was no specific brief for this job, so I started with a basic design and random swirls until interesting shapes started to form, then I just went about making plenty of detailed points of interest throughout the pic without any specific idea in mind. The guy falling was added as an afterthought, just to give the viewer's eye a place to rest after taking in so much detail.

I'll be inking and colouring this weekend, so I'll post my progress as I go.

3 Comments:

Blogger G said...

Wow, the pencils for Something Wicked looks really awesome! I love composition and the entrails-like in the detail shading and everything. Very wicked indeed!! :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Jeff G said...

Nice drawing - ever see Berni Wrightson's Color The Creature book from the 70s? Your composition and marks remind me of Berni's Blob drawing! Great work!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Gary- Thanks. Looking forward to colouring and inking it. It was fun to go into a drawing with completet freedom. Wasn't sure where it was heading.

Jeff g- Another artist pointed out similarities with Berni's work. I'm familiar with his work (mainly his beautiful Frankenstein pen drawings), but have never really owned any of his published work or seen him as an influence though. But thanks for the compliment. His work is masterful.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners