Monday, March 27, 2006

ThreeeDeee

For those of us who don't have mathematical degrees, mastering a 3D modelling program can be a tough slog. A few years back I bought Cinema4D and I still don't know what I'm doing with it half the time. That's why when a little program called Zbrush came along, an intuitive 2.5/3D modelling, texturing and rendering program, I was quick to embrace it. It's a wonderfully easy 3D program to get used to, more like modelling with clay than dealing with algorithms.


There's something about creating 3D art that's really exciting to me. When you press that render button and all the lighting, shadows and textures bring the picture to life- It's just magic.

All of these pieces were produced in Zbrush, with some post-editing in Photoshop.

PICTURED: (1) The Thing. Published in the Ledger Awards 2005 Benefits Calendar. 2004 (2) The Eye of Ogdru Jahad. Hellboy facing his nemesis. 2005 (3) Pinhead. 2004

9 Comments:

Blogger Cadwell said...

Good to see more of your work, Chris. That Hellboy piece is great, subtle but there's enough there to identify him.
I also love the examples from the 300 heads challenge posted earlier. I might try such an exercise myself. The action man head on the choker is an excellent touch.
I'll be checking back for more so keep up the posting.

Adam Cadwell
www.adamcadwell.co.uk

3:42 AM  
Blogger j. said...

Okay, first of all that rendering of the Thing is awesome!
And second of all the Thing, as you've rendered him there, is f**king AWESOME!

Pinhead looks great, too. I don't know if it's because you mentioned the program you used is like modelling out of clay but I actually think the pinhead looks like some sort of plasticene sculpture. I guess it's the texture you've used. Very neato!

j. (Gobukan on the Drawing Board)

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried to use Zbrush and it just seems way too complex to start with without any formal instruction, but I've heard a LOT of really good things about it. But you're right, for people like us who suck at math, 3D is just so damn overwhelming.

WHich is weird because 3Dmax seems way easier to get used to

these are good also (but you already know that)

cheers

your fan

-LFw

10:22 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

adam- Thanks for your comments. Hope you keep stopping by.

j- Thanks!. Re: Pinhead, I totally agree with your observations. I think the 'clayness' comes from a combination of his pale skin and the fact that the 3d model didn't have a high polygon count, and so when I 'sculpted' the details they weren't as smooth as they could have been.

lfw- yeah, for those used to traditional 3D applications, Zbrush can be a little weird at first.

When shopping around initially, 3dsMax was a serious contender but unfortunately it's a PC only program, and I'm on a Mac.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

You're most welcome. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Rasmane said...

I can almost smell Mr. Grimm's tobacco breath!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

heh, thanks SeventyThreeGrand

...and remember kiddies, don't smoke or your skin will end up all orange and cracked! :D

9:27 AM  
Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Astounding !!!!!

3:25 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Glad you like 'em, Andrew!

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners