Sunday, March 26, 2006

Caricatures

My art career could have begun so differently. During my last years of highschool I developed a passion for caricaturing. This led me to doing 2 weeks of work experience at News Ltd, a major newspaper publisher in Sydney. Even though the artist's office was tucked down some dark alley in the basement of the building, there was a great atmosphere working with caricaturists and cartoonists (and even the guy who handwrote the answers to the crossword puzzles- yes this was before computerisation). Upon completing my work experience, I expressed great interest to their art director of starting a cadetship upon leaving school.

PICTURED: (left) These caricatures are samples from my late teens. Brush. letratone and inkwash. 1991

But fate stepped in, and over the following months News Ltd.'s two major newspapers merged into one, resulting in their trimming of the art staff and resulting in no more cadetships.

Soon after that I found employment at Disney and the rest is history...

These days, I still do the occasional caricature for friends and family, and also recently did a whole bunch of them over at The Drawing Board forum's, 'Caricaturists' Caricatures' thread, where fellow cartoonists post their photos to get caricatured. Here's my contribution from that...

6 Comments:

Blogger heri said...

Darn it Chirs, I should have posted my mug! I'll like to have a charicature done by you. Every single face you nailed on the spot! make it look easy, also you are ahead one day of me! you already have a monday post blog!

thanks for the comments.

-heri

6:17 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks guys. Glad you like 'em.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so freaking awesome.

r.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks, Rod.

I'm a big fan of your work.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Cereal Killer said...

Damn it Chris your caricatures are the best i have seen!!!
i really like those one from friends and family, they are so well done that i check their faces and they seems to have piece of their personality....

amazing dude!

( º3º)

master!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks CK! Your comments are always appreciated.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners